Friday, May 20, 2011

An end to all good things

Today was the last day in Vietnam.  As such, we spent our entire day with the UEF students, saying goodbye and generally getting ready to leave.  The day started with culture class.  We learned about folk arts such as music and dancing.  He was surprised that today was our last day in Vietnam; apparently he greatly enjoyed teaching our class.
Next, we finished up our language class.  We ended with a test on the Vietnamese we learned over two weeks.  We were then graded on a scale from one to ten with ten being the highest.  I, and about half the class, got a perfect ten.  I personally think the teacher was a little biased in favor of giving us a good grade so the ten is less impressive than it could be.
After that, we played games with the UEF students.  I don’t know what the Vietnamese have with slightly dirty games, but almost every game has been dirty in the right mind set.  Today, we had to find fruit blindfolded, without using our hands.  I had to find a banana with my mouth.  We also tried to feed someone vanilla yogurt while blindfolded.
After that, we played UEF in a soccer match.  Although none of us have ever seriously played soccer before, we put up a good fight.  We played blindfolded and half the people in the neighborhood stopped to watch the stupid Americans playing soccer.  The heat was surprisingly not a factor, we were subbed often and are getting used to it just as I am about to leave.
I will miss all the UEF students.  I hope that someday, they can come visit us at Pitt.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Stephen,
    I heard that you and your friends just came back from the trip to Vietnam. I'm Hoang Yen from Hanoi, Vietnam and I'm going to Pittsburgh next week. So would you mind if I ask you some questions about living and going in Pitt? Thank you so much.
    Hoang Yen

    ReplyDelete